You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#100768 Force cropping?

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by pjdevries on Friday, 16 August 2019 16:15 BST

pjdevries
Hey Ryan,

Is it possible to force cropping when uploading files?

Regards,
Pieter-Jan de Vries

Ryan
There isn't currently an option for this but there will be in JCE Pro 2.8.0 with the addition of a "Crop to Fit" option in the Upload dialog for resizing.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

pjdevries
I will try this out with 2.8.0 Beta 6. Is there a release schedule for 2.8.0?

Ryan
It is not available in beta 6 yet, but will be in beta 7 later this week.

I am hoping for a release by the end of August or early September.

Ryan Demmer

pjdevries
Cool! I'll keep my breath until the end of the week and then give it a try 🙂

pjdevries
Hi Raymond,

I experimented a bit with 2.8.0 Beta 7 and ran into two issues:
  • Uploading one or more files results in the following error: 'The server returned an invalid JSON response'. The files are uploaded but the file browser folder is not refreshed after closing the upload dialog.
  • Images are not cropped as I would expect. They are resized as per configured Resize Presets (see Filesystem config in attached jce_profile.png) but not cropped as per configured Crop Presets (see sizes in attached jce_image_sizes.png).

Is there something I'm missing or misunderstanding?

Regards,

Pieter-Jan de Vries

Attachments

Ryan
Please try JCE Pro 2.8.0 Beta 8 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

Images are not cropped as I would expect. They are resized as per configured Resize Presets (see Filesystem config in attached jce_profile.png) but not cropped as per configured Crop Presets (see sizes in attached jce_image_sizes.png).

The Resize Presets and Crop Presets parameters apply to the Image Editor dialog only. Crop to Fit on upload resize uses the supplied resize dimensions only.

Ryan Demmer

pjdevries
Not sure I understand. Are you saying that Crop to Fit does not work when uploading images with the JCE File Browser custom field?

Ryan
No, the Crop Presets parameter is for the Image Editor dialog - the dialog that allows you to interactively resize, crop, rotate images and apply filters, which is available in the File Browser, Image Manager etc.

Ryan Demmer

pjdevries
Ah, I see what you mean. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but let me try it out and see if I can explain it to my end users :)

Ryan
Crop to Fit is a straight forward addition to the Resize operation, not a stand-alone cropping upload cropping solution. The image is cropped to fit within the supplied resize width and height, instead of being proportionally resized.

Ryan Demmer

pjdevries
I see. Thanx for the explanation. I better understand its working now. Definitely not what I expected 😃