You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Online

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

#102665 Black body background in editor after update to 2.8.3

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by cpointcc on Thursday, 08 December 2022 19:01 GMT

cpointcc
My body background in editor is now black after update to 2.8.3. Help!

Here is the css it is reading:

See my screenshot for details.

Attachments

cpointcc
I have rolled back to 2.7.20 and that body background is correct.

trlbldr
This is the same issue I intended to report. Let's fix this now!

Thanks.

Attachments

Ryan
The background of the editor area is black because that is what your template's stylesheet is setting it as. A change in JCE 2.8.3 means that the editor is better at loading the necessary stylesheets for different template frameworks, however this can sometimes result in issues like this.

You can fix this quickly and simply with a configuration change. Please see - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/support/faq/editor/editor-background-dark-or-editor-background-image

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

cpointcc
Yes, that fixed the issue. Thanks so much!

ernienet
Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I recently upgraded several sites to a Gantry 5 template. Prior to this JCE upgrade, the background was white and text was black. But after the upgrade, the background image makes it impossible to edit - can't read through the background image.

I went to the Global Configuration and changed the Reset Editor Styling setting to Yes. I saved it and re-opened my document - no change. I logged out an logged back in again - no change.

I'm using a custom style for JCE that has been in place for about 2 years or so, but I don't see a corresponding setting there that might affect this.

Thank you,
Ernie

Update: Apparently, something is caching - I logged out again, closed the browser tab, reopened it, and it's displaying properly in the editor now.

Ryan
I'm using a custom style for JCE that has been in place for about 2 years or so, but I don't see a corresponding setting there that might affect this.

Assuming this is an editor.css file, what does it contain?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

dmwalk
I'm very upset with this bug and your response. Why in the world would you want to read the body background color into the editor? Makes absolutely no sense. If I have a dark website theme, I do not want to edit in black. I've just pushed the last update to dozens of sites and now you want me to go into all those sites and fix your bug? Please revert this bug as soon as possible.

ernienet
Assuming this is an editor.css file, what does it contain?

It was an XML file that I applied to all my sites (about 25 of them) in October of 2016.

But this is resolved - it seems that something is caching the styling - I've seen it on two other sites I was working on. After I change the settings as instructed, the article editor still shows the background I'm using on the Gantry 5 template. At some point later on - not sure what actually "triggers" it - the background goes away.

Thank you,
Ernie

ernienet
I'm very upset with this bug and your response. Why in the world would you want to read the body background color into the editor? Makes absolutely no sense. If I have a dark website theme, I do not want to edit in black. I've just pushed the last update to dozens of sites and now you want me to go into all those sites and fix your bug? Please revert this bug as soon as possible.

I don't know if I'd call it a bug - it's most certainly an inconvenience. I have 25 sites I have to manually change. But not long ago, there was another feature they added for the settings around using absolute URL paths - a change that was helpful to me because I use email templates with images on my website. When I saw that change in the changelog, I went to every site and made the update.

So this change must have had a purpose that meets a legitimate need - JCE has been pretty good about quality. The only thing I would have done differently is to have had the default be set to "Yes" so it would not have affected current users.

Thank you,
Ernie