You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Online

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

#103431 Suggestion - copy URL button/option

Posted in ‘Suggestions & Feature Requests’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by simonlogan on Tuesday, 10 March 2020 10:51 GMT

simonlogan
At present there is a "Preview" option when any file is selected in the file browser - I was wondering if would be possible to also add in a "get link" option alongside this?

It doesn't happen often (as most times we are inserting links into an editor so the URL is added for us) but occasionally we just need to get the URL of a given file, i.e. for use linking to elsewhere and at present we have just type in the path to the file ourselves then copy/paste that. I realise it might not be a major feature but hoped it would be simple and unobstrustive enough that it might be included in a future release?

So just another icon under the copy/paste/rename/preview ones we currently have in the righthand page which is the usual chainlink icon and when clicked on it copies the full path to the current file for us?

Ryan
I'm thinking of adding this as an alternate click option on one of the buttons, eg: CTRL / CMD + Preview or CTRL / CMD + Copy.

Which do you think makes more sense?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

simonlogan
I think Copy might be more intuitive?

Ryan
Please try JCE Pro 2.8.10 Beta 6 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

Any number of selected files will copy a comma seperated list of absolute urls to the clipboard when using CTRL (CMD on Mac) + Click on the Copy button, in the File Browser, Image Manager, etc.

Ryan Demmer

simonlogan
Hi Ryan

Thanks for this, just gave it a test drive for me, I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding or not but didn't seem to work for me. So I installed the BETA (then cleared browser and server cache) then went to Components>JCE Editor>JCE File Browser then browsed to a PDF document to test, on my Mac I hit CMD and clicked on the COPY icon in the right hand toolbar (underneath RENAME and above CUT) then CMD-V into my address bar to see what was pasted but it wasn't a URL, instead a previous piece of text I'd copied. I tried OPTION-click too.

Am I missing something? Using latest v or Chrome on OS Catalina

Ryan
Please try JCE Pro 2.8.10 Beta 7 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

Ryan Demmer

simonlogan
Hey Ryan

Just to confirm that I've tried that version now and works fine for me - so the functionality is great, thanks for that.

I do still wonder from a UX point of view that it's not entirely intuitive that this is what you would need to do to copy the URL and think that a separate icon might be a more obvious action to take and there seems to be room in that right hand bar? (Mockup attached)

Like I say, though, the functionality is there so that's the main thing.

Attachments

Ryan
I do still wonder from a UX point of view that it's not entirely intuitive that this is what you would need to do to copy the URL and think that a separate icon might be a more obvious action to take and there seems to be room in that right hand bar? (Mockup attached)

A new icon is fine on large screens, but as things get smaller, there is a distinct lack of vertical space, and the current icons only just fit. Also, as the use case for the icon is a little limited, I think this can maybe work as an add-on function for an existing button, as it is now.

Ryan Demmer

simonlogan
Yep, fair enough. If this makes it into the next release I'll be sure to let clients know that's what they can do.