You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#108947 paste image from clipboard

Posted in ‘Suggestions & Feature Requests’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Tuesday, 05 October 2021 09:37 BST

espi
Hi,
I need a basic functionality to paste an image from the clipboard
and the image should be uploaded automatically.

When making drag and drop, that already works very good,
but not when I paste from the clipboard.

As it works now when paste an image that a placeholder will be inserted is useless to me.
I could also press the 'Insert image'-button.

https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/support/forum/96378-paste-image-from-clipboard

Thank You very much for this great content editor,
Frédéric Espitalier

Ryan
What is the original source of the image? Is it in a Word document, or is it copied from from a file on your computer?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

espi
Hi Ryan,
I do not use MS-Word at all. I tried it with JPEG and PNG as originals.
What I tried was copying a picture into the clipboard and then pasting, but always the behaviour that I described.
I use OSX10.15.7 (tried Safari-, Chrome- and Firefox-Browser) and have the screenshot program "screenfloat", "monosnap" (I tried jpeg and png to put into the clipboard).
I copied into the clipboard from several sources but always the same.
I switched the "Process images for upload" flag to ON or OFF but always the same behaviour.
I put the "Upload Filesize" to 10.000 KB.
I have only the DEFAULT-Profile of JCE active.

I thought, that pasting from the clipboard already worked and I was sure that I already used that functionality…

With best regards,
Frederic

Ryan
When you copy and paste image data form the clipboard, this would attempt to paste the raw image "blob" data from the clipboard, which would not be suitable for display in an article, because of its size. The image data would therefore need to be processed and perhaps uploaded, but only the image data and type of image (jpeg, png) is known, not the original image name. To upload the file, a random name would need to be used, which would make locatingh the file in the File Browser later on difficult.

This is one reason why pasted image data is not processed, but rather replaced with a upload placeholder, so the image can be selected and uploaded. Also, drag & drop upload is supported, so it is fairly easy to get an image into the editor without copy & paste.

I might investigate adding copy & paste of image data in the future, perhaps with an image name prompt prior to upload, but with other options for image upload available, it is not a priority at the moment.

I thought, that pasting from the clipboard already worked and I was sure that I already used that functionality…

This may have been due to a bug at one point with the image placeholder processing, which resulted in the raw iage data being inserted into the editor.

Ryan Demmer

espi
Hi Ryan,
thank You for Your answer.
Because drag and drop is working very good, and if I have an image file,
I think that there is no need for making the clipboard-paste-option FOR THAT.

But there are also different use cases, where this functionality is worth and needed.
First of all that this function is in every software
and it is hard to understand for someone with less technology knowledge about html
that this function is not there.

Now to me.
I work a lot with formulas for math witch I have to paste into the text.
Right now I make the formulas with my iPad
and because the iPad Clipboard is connected with my Mac-Clipboard
and i use JCE on my Mac it would be great if I could just paste the images from the clipboard into JCE.

And I know a lot of people doing this (using the iPad clipboard) but they paste into Pages or MS-Word.

I found out a WORKAROUND for this problem.

After I transferred an image into the clipboard I can not paste it into JCE directly.

BUT I can make a shortcut to my screenshotsoftware "monosanap"
to the command "make a new screenshot out of the clipboard"
than a window appears with the clipboardcontent as a screenshot in Monosnap
and than there is a symbol for drag and drop
and I can use that to get the image into JCE, works!

But I still would like a direct paste-function with automatic upload, the filename could be random in those cases.

Frederic Espitalier

Ryan
Improved image pasting support will be coming in a future update, including pasting image data from the clipboard, and pasting images selected in Finder or Explorer.

Ryan Demmer