You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#110027 About Preferences > General Options > Custom Help Site (For Joomla 4)

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by 4creator on Tuesday, 25 January 2022 09:57 GMT

4creator
Hello,

I need your help on how to build a Custom Help Site.

When using Joomla 4, is only the SEF URL selectable in the Help URL Method? Because I can't find the Key Reference option in Joomla 4.

If I select SEF url in the Help URL Method, the help documentation of the JCE site will be displayed even if I enter my own URL in the Help URL. Is this because something is wrong with my input? Or is it a bug?

I'm thinking of preparing a category for help documentation on my site and adding help articles within that category. Is this idea wrong? And in this case, what should I enter in the Help URL Pattern?

It would be very helpful if you could explain with a concrete example.

Thanks

Ryan
If I select SEF url in the Help URL Method, the help documentation of the JCE site will be displayed even if I enter my own URL in the Help URL. Is this because something is wrong with my input? Or is it a bug?

Please install JCE Pro 2.9.19 Beta - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

I'm thinking of preparing a category for help documentation on my site and adding help articles within that category. Is this idea wrong? And in this case, what should I enter in the Help URL Pattern?

It would be very helpful if you could explain with a concrete example.

That is correct, but each article must be assigned to a menu item with an alias that matches the xreference, so that the article has the correct SEF URL, matching the generated URL of the help item.

For example, for the the About the Editor article would need to be assigned to a menu with an alias of "about", which is in a parent menu / category with an alias of "editor", as the xreference is editor.about.

A list of the help items with xreference is available here - https://gist.github.com/ryandemmer/9fe29e0d844ff325c35a833fec911784

So for example, for the first item - "Global Configuration" - which has an xreference of admin.config.about, the menu / alias structure would be:

admin
- config
-- about

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

4creator
I feel a difference in premises between me and you. Or maybe I don't have enough knowledge.
As mentioned earlier, Joomla 4 doesn't have a Key Reference option. Also, there is no External Reference. (If these exist, please tell me the location.)

The xreference you say is the External Reference, right?

A list of the help items with xreference is available here
Did you forget the link?

Ryan
The system was built on xreference which is why I use that term to refer to what is essentially a "keyword" that the Help dialog menu uses to access each help item. So, when I refer to xreference in my explanation above, read it as "keyword" or whatever. This keyword is essenitally a dot notation value that can represent the category and article alias.

The list is available here - Keyword list

Ryan Demmer

4creator
Have you confirmed that the Custom Help Site works as expected on Joomla 4?
I've done a lot of testing, but I still can't build a Custom Help Site. 🙁

If you can build a Custom Help Site in Joomla 4, please show me how to build it step by step.

Ryan
Do you have an example help site you have set up? What is the URL?

Ryan Demmer

4creator
I hope you create a user manual for Joomla 4. The manual will reduce the hassle of your support.
I find the JCE manual too simple. Unfortunately, I don't think it was written from the user's point of view. 🙁