You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#110280 I have lost my image captions

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Dolcevia on Friday, 11 February 2022 10:57 GMT

Dolcevia
Hi there,
After upgrading to Joomla 4 I have had a problem that my captions are not appearing anymore. Is this a known issue? I can't seem to understand how they should get generated. If I have JCH Optimize on I can see <noscript> around the caption tag. When I turn compression off I just see the image with title and alt but no caption. This is an example : https://www.dolcevia.com/nl/italie-reizen/steden-trips/4258-kinderen-van-napels
all images have a caption, the intro image has one. The others don't.
Thanks for looking at this!
Elisabeth

Ryan
Those captions apepar to have been added using the Joomla Media Manager, and not JCE, is this correct?

In that case, it looks like the "lazy load" script or JCH Optimize is causing the issue.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

Dolcevia
Hi there!
Actually I didnt think about it like that but you're right it is the Joomla Media Manager of course.
I had JCH off and no lazyload so I guess it wasnt cased by JCH either. 🙁
Elisabeth

Ryan
Joomla Captions for the Joomla Media Manager require the JCaption script, which is loaded via the caption.js file - media/system/js/caption.js

I don't see this loaded on your site.

Ryan Demmer

Dolcevia
I wonder if they forgot that in the Joomla 4 update... I haven't heard anyone else about this yet. I will do a little research to see if this has happened to anybody else who went to Joomla 4 from 3. In any case, I shall have to find this script an upload it!
Thank you so much! This is really helpful.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Elisabeth

Ryan
I wonder if they forgot that in the Joomla 4 update... I haven't heard anyone else about this yet. I will do a little research to see if this has happened to anybody else who went to Joomla 4 from 3. In any case, I shall have to find this script an upload it!

I think that is the issue. Captions in Joomla 4 are created differently, and I'm not sure if there is a migration script for this.

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
I've created a simple plugin to convert older J3 captions - https://github.com/widgetfactory/jcaption-migrate

Ryan Demmer

Dolcevia
Oh wow! Thank you Ryan. That just saved me a lot of trouble. I think I must have already reviewed JCE but I am going to check again and give you 5 stars!