You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#111246 How to add a Table of Contents and Index to many Joomla articles to create a book?

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Saturday, 18 June 2022 11:21 BST

nemmar
Hi,

Is there a way to add a Table of Contents and Index to Joomla articles that will be part of a series of chapters to form a book?
For example, instead of having all the chapters in one article, I want to break them up into separate articles but have a separate article which will be the Table of Contents and an Index article for the entire online book. I know I can manually type in all the Chapters, sections, headings, etc. into one article and manually link them to create a T of C. But that would be a lot of manual edits that would continually need updates as the book content grows.

I use the Regular Labs Quick Index extension for some articles and it's great that it can automatically create an index based on headings. But I need a T of C for multiple articles instead of just the content in one article.

Is there an extension or a feature in JCE to do this?

Thank you.

Ryan
Is there an extension or a feature in JCE to do this?

No, there is a simple Table of Contents plugin but it only acts on the current article.

Your best bet is probably the Regular Labs Quick Index extension, perhaps the Pro version can do what you want? If not, send them a feature request.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

nemmar
Hi Ryan,

I installed the Regular Labs extensions: Articles Anywhere and Articles Field extensions. I noticed that the after the install it had a message:
"Joomla's own "Article" editor button has been disabled"

That message is due to the AA extension using it's own version of the "Article" editor button. However, I use the JCE Editor Pro extension, instead of the Joomla default editor. I don't see any "Article" editor buttons. Are there features of Regular Labs AA and AF that need to use the Joomla default article editor to enable the buttons for those extensions to be accessible? Or is there a way to display other component buttons in the JCE Editor like they display in the Joomla default editor?

Thanks

Ryan
"Joomla's own "Article" editor button has been disabled"

This is referring to the editor-xtd buttons that are usually displayed below the editor window.

However, I use the JCE Editor Pro extension, instead of the Joomla default editor. I don't see any "Article" editor buttons.

If you have added the Joomla button (the one with the Joomla logo) to the editor toolbar, then the editor-xtd buttons are moved to a menu accessed of this Joomla button. The Articles Anywhere button may also have been added to this menu.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.