You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#111867 More than one language on a page or in an article - selecting the language for readers / Accessibility

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Senga on Friday, 23 September 2022 13:57 BST

Senga
Hello!
Using Joomla 4. I am preparing several sites to accessibility compliance and I would like to know if the CMS/ JCE editor includes a similar feature such as Joomla CMS editor > icon globe. This feature allow us to select the language for a pre-selected text/content and then to select the language for the reader. It inserts for example span lang="fr-FR" for text in French language or span lang="en-US"> for text in American English.
This allow the reader/google reader to detect the language correctly on a paragraph or a module/slider. For European multilingual sites with multi-languages on the same page and/or article, it's a critical feature.
Thanks.

Ryan
There isn't a specific button for this in the editor toolbar, but you can set the Language value using the Attributes dialog (the cog icon in the toolbar). This can be set on a block element (such as a paragraph) or on a text selection, which will apply the attribute to a span tag.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

Senga
Thanks Ryan. Could you please elaborate? There is no cog icon in the JCE profile editor toolbar. Could you please provide further information or link where I can find such information on how to create the attribute. If I use the link icon, it does offer me to enter a language code, but I need also to enter a link... 🙁

Ryan
Please try JCE Pro 2.9.31 Beta - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

You can add the new Language Code plugin to the editor toolbar in Editor Profiles -> Features & Layout. The button is identified by a globe icon.

When editing an article, select some text, or click inside an element such as a paragraph, then click the Language Code button to open the dialog to select the required language.

http://cdn.joomlacontenteditor.net/tmp/111867-editor-and-selecting-the-language-for-readers-accessibility.gif

Ryan Demmer

Senga
Hi Ryan!
Great and thanks. Installed and working. Just a suggestion, it could help your users and our users to use " en-GB" or "en-US", or "fr-FR.", etc.. Just to satisfy the British speaking users. 😃 and other regional languages with specific spelling...
In any case you're a gem!

Ryan
Please try JCE Pro 2.9.31 Beta 2 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

This now includes an expanded list of language codes.

Ryan Demmer

Senga
Hi Ryan,
It works perfectly. A big plus for all your EU countries developers/users s starting to include multiple languages on the same page/article.
I would call this an essential feature for the next update of the JCE Editor!

Many thanks !
Agnes