You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Online

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

#112322 Links not working

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Friday, 18 November 2022 10:35 GMT

Lotty
I've created a link using Content option

The website link shows the page title https://www.thejungle.uk.net/training/fire-safety-awareness/fire-safety-awareness-first-page but the links just go to 404 - <p>We're sorry, that page doesn't exist or has moved!</p>

Attachments

Ryan
If you create the link using the Article button below the editor, do you get the same 404 result?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

Lotty
I don't have an article button below the editor

Attachments

Ryan
Please send me a login - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/contact/site-login

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
You have to create a menu item for each article you link to, otherwise the menu association (itemid) defaults to the Main Menu, and may result in a 404.

I have created the menu item for the article in question on your site, and updated the Next link with the new url.

Ryan Demmer

Lotty
That's not a good option as I'll have 6 submenus on my site.

These articles have been on my website for over 5 years. It's only when I went into it to change some text they stopped working. I've had quite a few gremlins like this since I upgraded to JCE Pro. Joomla should or did use to allow direct link to article content.

I'll probably just create a page break and condense the 6 articles I have into 1.

I've got quite a big site with lots of articles. I'm concerned it'll be broken elsewhere that I don't know about.

Ryan
I've disabled the menu and reverted the link.

JCE using the Joomla API to create the links, so they are assumed to be correct. The Joomla Menu / SEF URL system is a complicated mystery, so JCE relies on the API to produce accurate links.

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
I've added the Article button at the bottom of the editor, which is a Joomla Core button for adding links to articles. If you use this to create the Next link, it creates an almost idential link (same id and catid but omits the alias values), which gives exactly the same 404 result when clicked.

Ryan Demmer

Lotty
Confused this doesn't work either

Ryan
[quotePost id="112346"]Confused this doesn't work either[/quotePost]

I include the example to confirm that it is not a JCE issue, but to do with the whole Joomla menu / sef system.

It does add complexity, but using menu items is the best solution for stable SEF links.

Ryan Demmer