You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#113259 Prevent overriding images with same name

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by stimpy on Friday, 17 March 2023 19:39 GMT

stimpy
When I upload an image that has the same name as an existing file on the server, the file on the server is overridden without any warning. Thus an older article with the same filename will have a wrong image attached. Is there a way to show a warning when uploading a file with a name that already exists?

Ryan
In Editor Profiles -> Editor Parameters -> Filesystem, set the Upload Conflict Action option to Create Unique File Name for uploaded file. You can then specify an Upload Name Suffix for the new file name, which defaults to _copy, eg: tree_copy.jpg if the original file is called tree.jpg

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

stimpy
Thank you! I missed that setting. That's the one I need.
One additional question: if a user uploads an image as the main image of an article, and he doesn't browse first to the correct location, but clicks on the upload button, and just uploads the image, is JCE triggered and will there be a unique file name too? Or is Joomla the one that handles the image. I've set JCE to be the media manager in the general JCE settings.

Ryan
One additional question: if a user uploads an image as the main image of an article, and he doesn't browse first to the correct location, but clicks on the upload button, and just uploads the image, is JCE triggered and will there be a unique file name too? Or is Joomla the one that handles the image. I've set JCE to be the media manager in the general JCE settings.

Are you referring to the Intro Image or Full Article Image fields in the Images & Links tab? If yes, then the upload is most likely handled by the JCE File Browser, so the unique file name option will be applied.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

stimpy
Thank you. Yes it works as I want it,