You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Online

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

#113856 Joomla 3 video being stripped out even though Global Settings allow it and user category is set to No Filter

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Redskeeter on Wednesday, 31 May 2023 14:54 BST

Redskeeter
I have an issue in the USER side where use of the video icon to display a video in an article is being stripped out. I've tried adding embed code for Vimeo directly as well and both get stripped completely out upon saving.

What I have done:

I followed the instructions on the FAQs "Video removed on saving" and changed the relevant group to "No Filtering."

I then saved and logged out of both the user log in as well as the admin side.

I tried a different browser and the behavior is the same in both Chrome and Firefox.

THE FOLLOWING WORKED:

I tried adding the video as ADMINISTRATOR and THAT WORKED...

This makes me think that the problem is where in the USER hierarchy I have the "Current Subscriber" category placed. I've included a screenshot of the user groups.

Can one of you wizards out there help me fix this issue? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Regards,
"Stumped"

Attachments

Ryan
Do you have more than 1 JCE Editor Profile enabled, perhaps one assigned to your "Current Subscriber" group?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

Ryan
I tried adding the video as ADMINISTRATOR and THAT WORKED...

This makes me think that the problem is where in the USER hierarchy I have the "Current Subscriber" category placed. I've included a screenshot of the user groups.

It looks like "Current Subscriber" is a child of the "Registered" group, but this shouldn't make a difference as far as I am aware.

FYI - It looks like you have an invalid value in the Filter Tags field for the "Registered" group with the "No HTML" value. If you want this group to not use HTML, then set the Filter Type to No HTML.

Ryan Demmer

Redskeeter
HI Ryan,

Thanks for getting back to me. Your help is very much appreciated.

I have removed the NO HTML entry from tags and made sure that it was not on current subscribers.

There is only one profile for current subscriber group.

JCE seems to instantly strip out the media code still. I've used the media icon and also tried an iframe, same result.

The following shows the user groups after making the suggested changes.

Ideas?

thanks again!

Attachments

Ryan
JCE seems to instantly strip out the media code still. I've used the media icon and also tried an iframe, same result.

Does this only happen on saving or when you insert the code? Is the code still visible when you view the html in the Code tab?

Please ensure you set the Allow IFrames options as required as specified here - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/support/faq/editor/iframe-removed-on-saving

Ryan Demmer

Redskeeter
Thansk for the help Ryan, much apppreciated!

The code is still visible when viewing it in the Code tab.

On saving, the code is stripped.

Hope this helps run it down.

Attachments

Ryan
On saving, the code is stripped.

Then it is most likely the Joomla Text Filter removing the code.

Ryan Demmer

Redskeeter
I agree, now the question is why the settings in the Joomla Text Filters are not working on the front-end Current Subscribers group even though it is set to "No Filtering"

I went back and checked the settings, cleared the cache, cleared the browser cache, and it's still filtering out iframes.

Is there any other location where this could be happening globally you can think of?

Any ideas would be helpful....

Ryan
Is this an active site with active users? If not, then you could set each user group to No Filtering, and then back to Default Blacklist in turn as you attempt to save an iframe until you find the user group causing the issue.

Ryan Demmer

Redskeeter
Hi Ryan,

Good idea. I set all groups to no filtering and the code removal still happens.

So, it's not the group settings it seems. I am stumped at where else to look for a setting that is causing this.

I looked at the settings in the JCE profiles for front-end users. I've attached screen captures of the settings there so you can see if my misconfiguration is the problem.

I'll send the final settings file capture separately...

Attachments

JCE Settings files 1-4.zip

Redskeeter
Here is the final settings file...

Attachments

2023-05-30_JCE EDITOR PROFILE SETTINGS 5.zip

Ryan
Move the Front end profile so it is above the Admin profile. Probably won't make a difference but is good practice to have the most restriced profile the first in the list.

Ryan Demmer

Redskeeter
Thanks Ryan, I assume you are referring to the JCD Admin profiles. If so, how can i rearrange the order of the profiles? I don't see a way to do that....

Ryan
Please export the 2 profiles, zip them and attach here.

Ordering profiles - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/support/documentation/profiles/profiles-ordering

Exporting Profiles - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/support/documentation/profiles/profiles-export

Ryan Demmer

Redskeeter
Thanks for the explanation, moved the profile so the Front end profile is first, admin second.

Attached are the setting files.

Attachments

jce_editor_profile_2023_05_30.zip

Ryan
The one thing I can see from the profiles is that for both, in Editor Parameters -> Advanced, you have added "iframe" to the Extended Elements list. This is not necessary and should be removed, as it can actually interfere with proper processing of iframes.

Other than that, everything else looks OK and shouldn't be causing an issue with iframes.

If you can send me a login I can take a closer look - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/contact/site-login

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
I did a test with your profiles and a "Subscriber" usergroup which was set up as a child of the "Registered" user group, as in your images. The group was given No Filtering on the Text Filter, and I edited a front-end artice to add a Youtube iframe, via the Code tab.

Flipping between Code and Editor the iframe was retained, and it was also visible after saving.

Are you creating the content with the Joomla Article Manager, or some other extension?

Ryan Demmer

Redskeeter
Thanks Ryan,

I have made the change to the iframe from the Extended Elements list in both the JCE profiles.

The editor is being used in Community Builder's blog panel. After digging forever, I found that Community Builder does filter out some elements. I allowed iframes and voila, problem solved.

You are a genius, I didn't think about that wrapper doing additional filtering beyond what JCE was doing. I'll be darned, it has never come up until now even after 11 years of using it. Familiarity makes some things invisible... and yes, those things are out to get you.

Until some other mystery presents itself, you can mark this as "RESOLVED"

Many thanks again for your dogged determination to help me get to the bottom of the problem and fix it. Darn impressive!