You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#99424 MediaBox PDF pop-ups not loading fully in mobile

Posted in ‘Mediabox’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Friday, 06 December 2019 11:39 GMT

Webjo
I am using MediaBox 2.0.10, JCE Editor Pro 2.6.38 and Joomla 3.9.4.

I have PDF files that are set up as MediaBox pop-ups. On mobile browsers (at least on Safari and Chrome on iOS) the file does not render correctly. The pop-up canvas is really small and there are no scroll bars.

The pop-ups work on desktop screens, but not mobile.

Ryan
Please try JCE MediaBox 2.0.11 Beta 3 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/mediabox/development

This will add scrolling to the popup, although in iOS it is not possible to make the scrollbar visible.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

Ryan
I would also suggest removing the width you have added for the popup, which will allow the popup to open correctly on smaller mobile devices (iPhone etc.)

Ryan Demmer

josemh
Hi,
I have the same problem, on this page, the popup window with PDF looks small with IPhone.

Press

Click in View PDF

I am using MediaBox 2.0.13, JCE Editor Pro 2.7.19 and Joomla 3.9.13.

Thanks
Greetings

Jose

Ryan
Please try JCE MediaBox 2.0.14 Beta 1 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/mediabox/development

Ryan Demmer

Webjo
Updating to JCE MediaBox 2.0.14 Beta 1 did not resolve this longstanding issue for me.

Ryan
@Webjo - Which popup on your site are you referring to? I have tested a couple of the links from your site with JCE MediaBox 2.0.14 Beta 1 on multiple devices and they display as expected.

Ryan Demmer

Webjo
On the link below I have several popups that are used to display either multi-page PDFs or YouTube videos.

I've updated to MediaBox 2.0.14 Beta 2 on the site.

Specifically if you click on the "RIPEA Year-End Review" link (in the PowerPoint Presentations section) the first page of the PDF loads but it is not responsive (the slide is wider than the screen on my iPhone), and you can't scroll to the additional pages of the PDF.

I've also entered the link to the PDF that should load in the popup below.

Sorry for the delayed response. Hope that helps.

Ryan
the first page of the PDF loads but it is not responsive (the slide is wider than the screen on my iPhone), and you can't scroll to the additional pages of the PDF.

This is wholly an iOS Safari issue, which appears to be unable to display pdf files in an iframe - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15480804/problems-displaying-pdf-in-iframe-on-mobile-safari

There are no suitable solutions without resorting to using a 3rd party library like PDFjs - https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js - for rendering the pdf, but this library is too big to include with MediaBox.

The best option I can think of would be to open the pdf in a new window - not a popup - in iOS Safari.

You can test this change in JCE MediaBox 2.0.14 Beta 3 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/mediabox/development

Ryan Demmer

Webjo
Ok. Thanks. I was testing the page in Chrome on iOS, but it does the same in Safari on iOS.

Odd thing is that when I first tested using these same PDFs in popups more than a year ago, it was working on iOS in both Chrome and Safari.

Ryan
I was testing the page in Chrome on iOS, but it does the same in Safari on iOS.

All browsers on iOS use the same Safari rendering engine.

Ryan Demmer

dlerner
Hi Ryan,

according to your suggestion to open the pdf in a new window with JCE MediaBox 2.0.14 Beta 3: How can I configure this?
I have installed the beta and JCE 2.8.1, but I can't figure out how to open the pdf in a new window within the media box?

Thank you for your help
Dirk

Ryan
according to your suggestion to open the pdf in a new window with JCE MediaBox 2.0.14 Beta 3: How can I configure this?

It should do it automatically on iOS devices.

Ryan Demmer