You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

#110363 Unhandled exception - Error, Attempt to assign property "server" on null, when updating Joomla 4.0.6 to 4.1.0 probably related to MediaBox 2.1.2

Posted in ‘Mediabox’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by formfranska on Friday, 18 February 2022 11:36 GMT

formfranska
Hi Ryan,
I would like to ask for your opinion and advice. I had an issue with Joomla Update Checker complaining about MediaBox 2. I then uninstalled it before updating Joomla.

I then got this admin email from the website with the error:
"Unhandled exception - Error, Attempt to assign property "server" on null"

I didn't understand that it had to do with MediaBox 2 but I got help in the Joomla Forum which lead me onto that conclusion.

Ryan, would you be able to check out my post in the Joomla Forum and give me your opinion and advice, please? I do have MediaBox 2 installed on other sites where I could update the same Joomla version without issues so this is really weird.

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=808&t=991979

Would really appreciate this 😊

Ryan
I think this is more likely to be the result of a bug in the Joomla Updater rather than with any particular extension. JCE MediaBox is just a standard Joomla System plugin, so if it is uninstalled - which would have been done with the Joomla Extension Manager - then any resulting issue is the result of a fault within Joomla.

To answer this question of yours in the forum:

I actually have no idea how ID's gets assigned to extensions but it it's got anything to do with when they were installed in relation to one another I'm pretty sure I installed JCE Editor and JCE MediaBox 2 on the same occasion.

The ids are an auto-increment value in the database, which means that each new extension is assigned an id one bigger than the last. If you uninstall an extension, then next extension installed will still increment on that last id, which is how you can get non-consecutive id values in the db.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

formfranska
Thank you so much Ryan! This makes a lot of sense. The Joomla Update Checker has seemed very inconsistent to me (behaving differently on sites with same extensions, same Joomla versions and same PHP version too.

And thank you for explaining the ID numbering as well 👍🏽