You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Online

Official support hours:
Monday To Friday
From 09:00 To 17:00 Europe/London (BST)
  Friday, 25 June 2021
  6 Replies
  1.1K Visits
Hi,
I installed the latest update (2.9.9) yesterday. I am no longer able to display any newly added images or to edit any existing ones (jpg). Is it just me or is this a bug that you are working on.
Cheers
Mark
more than a month ago
·
#108148
I am no longer able to display any newly added images or to edit any existing ones (jpg)


Are you referring to display in the editor, or in an article in the front-end of your site?

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

more than a month ago
·
#108150
Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the quick reply. Articles already saved are displaying normally in the front end. The problem is adding new images or editing existing ones.
I have attached a few screen grabs.
Cheers
Mark
more than a month ago
·
#108151

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

more than a month ago
·
#108152
It would seem that browser Adblocking extensions I have installed in Firefox - Advlock Plus and UOrigin - are both blocking images in the Adverts folder on your site, but no other! Perhaps the same thing is happening to you?

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

more than a month ago
·
#108153
Hi Ryan,
Top marks for finding that one so quick! I've turned off the ad blocker in Chrome to no effect. I have created a new folder called "Classified" which appears to be a quick workaround. The good news is that I shouldn't need to edit anything in the adverts folder.
Is this glitch down to your update or do I need to look at my hosting provider - it is not unknown for them to "improve" things without them telling you.
Many thanks for your help
Cheers
Mark
more than a month ago
·
#108154
Is this glitch down to your update or do I need to look at my hosting provider - it is not unknown for them to "improve" things without them telling you.


Nothing to do with the update, and it definately does look like a browser thing, as I have just been able to re-create the issue on the demo site, with an "Adverts" folder. Renaming the folder to "Averts" fixes the problem. Weird.

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

  • Page :
  • 1
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!