You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#114788 Problem Editing All JCE Editor Profiles

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Friday, 06 October 2023 10:19 BST

steve.pottenger
I have been migrating my website from Joomla3 to 4 on locally on my laptop. Everything has gone smoothly. When I uploaded the Joomla 4 site to a windows production server running php 8.0 (same as my mac laptop localhost) the editor works as expected when updating articles. But, when I try to edit any of the JCE Editor Profiles I just get a blank screen. I have Debug System set to Yes and Error Reporting set to maximum. Yet, there is no error feedback provided when I open a profile page. Could you provide some guidance on how I could track down and resolve the problem?

I am seeing this in my administrator > logs > everything.php file:

2023-10-02T14:27:05+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Holding edit ID com_jce.edit.profile.1 Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 )
2023-10-02T14:42:17+00:00 WARNING 134.29.223.150 assets No asset found for com_modules.module.531, falling back to com_modules
2023-10-02T14:42:17+00:00 WARNING 134.29.223.150 assets No asset found for com_modules.module.531, falling back to com_modules
2023-10-02T14:43:03+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Holding edit ID com_jce.edit.profile.5 Array ( [0] => 5 )
2023-10-02T14:45:13+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Holding edit ID com_content.edit.article.646 Array ( [0] => 646 )
2023-10-02T14:45:14+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Checking edit ID com_content.edit.article.646: 1 Array ( [0] => 646 )
2023-10-02T15:11:37+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Releasing edit ID com_content.edit.article.646 Array ( )
2023-10-02T15:12:05+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Holding edit ID com_content.edit.article.646 Array ( [0] => 646 )
2023-10-02T15:12:06+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Checking edit ID com_content.edit.article.646: 1 Array ( [0] => 646 )
2023-10-02T15:15:05+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Releasing edit ID com_content.edit.article.646 Array ( )
2023-10-02T17:04:26+00:00 WARNING 134.29.223.150 assets No asset found for com_modules.module.531, falling back to com_modules
2023-10-02T17:04:26+00:00 WARNING 134.29.223.150 assets No asset found for com_modules.module.531, falling back to com_modules
2023-10-02T17:04:59+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Holding edit ID com_jce.edit.profile.1 Array ( [0] => 1 )
2023-10-02T17:09:24+00:00 INFO 134.29.223.150 controller Holding edit ID com_jce.edit.profile.6 Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 6 )

Thank You!
Steve Pottenger

Ryan
Please try uninstalling JCE Pro -https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/support/installation/editor#remove - and then installing JCE Pro 2.9.50 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/latest

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

steve.pottenger
Unfortunately, I did uninstall all the extensions and reinstalled the latest JCE Editor version. The problem persists. I did go through one by one turning off extensions to see if that made a difference. When the JCE editor plugin is turned off the page loads (mostly) without errors.

Everything.php log reads:

2023-10-03T13:28:57+00:00 INFO 134.29.220.6 controller Holding edit ID com_jce.edit.profile.7 Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 [2] => 7 )
2023-10-03T13:29:15+00:00 INFO 134.29.220.6 controller Holding edit ID com_jce.edit.profile.3 Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 [2] => 7 [3] => 3 )
2023-10-03T13:30:24+00:00 INFO 134.29.220.6 controller Holding edit ID com_jce.edit.profile.7 Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 [2] => 7 [3] => 3 )
2023-10-03T13:30:27+00:00 CRITICAL 134.29.220.6 error Uncaught Throwable of type Error thrown with message "Attempt to assign property "params" on array". Stack trace: #0 [ROOT]\components\com_jce\editor\libraries\classes\application.php(431): WFApplication->getParams()
#1 [ROOT]\administrator\components\com_jce\helpers\browser.php(108): WFApplication->getParam()
#2 [ROOT]\administrator\components\com_jce\models\fields\mediajce.php(93): WfBrowserHelper::getMediaFieldOptions()
#3 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Form\FormField.php(806): JFormFieldMediaJce->getLayoutData()
#4 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Form\FormField.php(479): Joomla\CMS\Form\FormField->getLabel()
#5 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Form\Field\MediaField.php(169): Joomla\CMS\Form\FormField->__get()
#6 [ROOT]\administrator\components\com_jce\layouts\joomla\content\options_default.php(36): Joomla\CMS\Form\Field\MediaField->__get()
#7 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Layout\FileLayout.php(128): include('...')
#8 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Layout\LayoutHelper.php(76): Joomla\CMS\Layout\FileLayout->render()
#9 [ROOT]\administrator\components\com_jce\views\profile\tmpl\edit_editor_filesystem.php(18): Joomla\CMS\Layout\LayoutHelper::render()
#10 [ROOT]\libraries\src\MVC\View\HtmlView.php(410): include('...')
#11 [ROOT]\administrator\components\com_jce\views\profile\tmpl\edit_editor.php(30): Joomla\CMS\MVC\View\HtmlView->loadTemplate()
#12 [ROOT]\libraries\src\MVC\View\HtmlView.php(410): include('...')
#13 [ROOT]\administrator\components\com_jce\views\profile\tmpl\edit.php(49): Joomla\CMS\MVC\View\HtmlView->loadTemplate()
#14 [ROOT]\libraries\src\MVC\View\HtmlView.php(410): include('...')
#15 [ROOT]\libraries\src\MVC\View\HtmlView.php(203): Joomla\CMS\MVC\View\HtmlView->loadTemplate()
#16 [ROOT]\administrator\components\com_jce\views\profile\view.html.php(64): Joomla\CMS\MVC\View\HtmlView->display()
#17 [ROOT]\administrator\components\com_jce\controller.php(133): JceViewProfile->display()
#18 [ROOT]\libraries\src\MVC\Controller\BaseController.php(678): JceController->display()
#19 [ROOT]\administrator\components\com_jce\jce.php(42): Joomla\CMS\MVC\Controller\BaseController->execute()
#20 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Dispatcher\LegacyComponentDispatcher.php(71): require_once('...')
#21 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Dispatcher\LegacyComponentDispatcher.php(73): Joomla\CMS\Dispatcher\LegacyComponentDispatcher::Joomla\CMS\Dispatcher\{closure}()
#22 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Component\ComponentHelper.php(361): Joomla\CMS\Dispatcher\LegacyComponentDispatcher->dispatch()
#23 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Application\AdministratorApplication.php(143): Joomla\CMS\Component\ComponentHelper::renderComponent()
#24 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Application\AdministratorApplication.php(186): Joomla\CMS\Application\AdministratorApplication->dispatch()
#25 [ROOT]\libraries\src\Application\CMSApplication.php(293): Joomla\CMS\Application\AdministratorApplication->doExecute()
#26 [ROOT]\administrator\includes\app.php(61): Joomla\CMS\Application\CMSApplication->execute()
#27 [ROOT]\administrator\index.php(32): require_once('...')
#28 {main}

Ryan
Please send me a login - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/contact/site-login

Ryan Demmer

steve.pottenger
Thanks for your offer to take a look at our development site. My organization has had recent security breaches and has put all our servers behind a firewall. I'm not able to provide you with a means to log in. I could do a Zoom session with you where I can share my screen and navigate the site in that way. I'm in the Minnesota (Chicago timezone). Let know if that works or if you have any other ideas. Thanks again!

Ryan
Are you able to access the JCE Admin (Profiles, Configuration, File Browser) without errors?

Ryan Demmer

steve.pottenger
Yes, I logged into the admin area and navigation through the JCE Admin Profiles, Configuration, and File Browser without problems. I interacted with the configuration and file browser to make sure they were working properly. No issues there. The blank screen only comes up when I try to open any of the admin profiles. I'm not sure if this is related, but I did just notice a bunch of deprecated calls in the Joomla debug bar. I've attached a screen shot.

Attachments

steve.pottenger
I did just thought to open the developer's console on the blank page. I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing. Screen shot attached.

Attachments

Ryan
[quotePost id="114818"]Yes, I logged into the admin area and navigation through the JCE Admin Profiles, Configuration, and File Browser without problems. I interacted with the configuration and file browser to make sure they were working properly. No issues there. The blank screen only comes up when I try to open any of the admin profiles. I'm not sure if this is related, but I did just notice a bunch of deprecated calls in the Joomla debug bar. I've attached a screen shot.[/quotePost]

Deperecation warnings are not related.

[quotePost id="114819"]I did just thought to open the developer's console on the blank page. I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing. Screen shot attached.[/quotePost]

This is not a javascript issue so any javascript errors you see are related to the PHP error, not the cause of the error.

The only thing I can think of here is that there is an issue with the JCE Editor Profile parameters. Go to the Editor Profiles list, select the profiles that are enabled, and click the Export button.

Create a zip file of the exported xml file, and post it here.

Ryan Demmer

steve.pottenger
Yes, I had tried importing a working profile from my laptop-hosted (working) site up to the dev server. The problem was not resolved. I've attached the file that was exported from the broken dev server.

Attachments

jce_editor_profile_2023_10_04.xml.zip

Ryan
If you now select all the profiles in the list, then click the Delete button, then the [Create / Restore] link in the resulting message to rebuild the profiles, do you still get the error?

Ryan Demmer

steve.pottenger
I did try that and the problem persists. It's still a blank screen.

steve.pottenger
I've taken screenshots of my JCE extension list as I turned off the JCE editor plug-in and another screenshot of what the profile editor screen looks like without the plugin turned on.

Attachments

steve.pottenger
I also ran Akeeba backup on the broken site on the development server and installed it locally on my laptop to see if the server environment was the cause of the problem. The copied site from the dev server running locally behaves in the exact same way when run on my laptop: a blank screen when opening the profile.

I also used the laptop mac terminal service to compare the admin>com_jce folders. They appear to be identical. I also swapped those folders to see if that would solve the problem. It didn't.

Ryan
I've taken screenshots of my JCE extension list as I turned off the JCE editor plug-in and another screenshot of what the profile editor screen looks like without the plugin turned on.

All JCE extensions shown in your screenshot must be enabled for the editor to work.

[quotePost id="114832"]I also ran Akeeba backup on the broken site on the development server and installed it locally on my laptop to see if the server environment was the cause of the problem. The copied site from the dev server running locally behaves in the exact same way when run on my laptop: a blank screen when opening the profile.

I also used the laptop mac terminal service to compare the admin>com_jce folders. They appear to be identical. I also swapped those folders to see if that would solve the problem. It didn't. [/quotePost]

This only really suggests that the issue is with the "broken site". I would assume other sites you have or test on are not experiencing any issue?

Please try this:

In the JCE Control Panel, click on Global Configuration, then change a setting and click Save & Close.

Does this solve the issue?

If not, then I suggest you uninstall the editor as before, then before re-installing, delete the following folders (probably easier to do this on the dev server):

administrator/components/com_jce
components/com_jce
media/com_jce
plugins/content/jce
plugins/editors/jce
plugins/extensions/jce
plugins/installer/jce
plugins/fields/mediajce
plugins/system/jce
plugins/quickicon/jce

Then re-install the latest JCE Pro package - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/latest

Ryan Demmer

steve.pottenger
Ryan,

Thanks for all your assistance. Although your suggestion didn't directly resolve my problem, I did think to just clean out all the files and database on the dev server and do a reinstall from my Akeeba backup file. That seems to have resolved the problem. I'm able to edit the JCE profiles now. Sorry, I didn't try that earlier. The issue was so specific to the JCE admin profiles that I thought the problem was originating there. Thanks again.

Ryan
Glad it is sorted out. Sometimes these things take time to reveal themselves and you have to just keep digging 'til you find them.

Ryan Demmer