You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Online

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

#115539 insert PDF to meet accessibility request

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Thursday, 14 December 2023 14:46 GMT

rcarey
One of my clients is a U.S. county, and after an accessibility check, they were requested to offer some alternative to PDFs so that the content would be readable. They currently are using the document button which open the File Manager dialog. This dialog box has several fields that I do not completely understand, and I'm wondering if I can leverage any one of them.

Do you know if this File Manager can be used to help make the document accessible? For example, is there a way to lead to a different file or to text if a "reader" is trying to access it? Or does one of the "open with" options (Google Docs Viewer or Office Apps Viewer) work with PDFs and are able to accommodate a reader?

I'm looking for a solution that allows them to continue uploading PDFs through JCE's document button. But ultimately I need any solution.

Ryan
It seems that making an accessible PDF is the first and most imporant step. I found the following resources:

https://dap.berkeley.edu/learn/techniques/how-make-pdfs-accessible

https://webaim.org/techniques/acrobat/acrobat

You should then be able to embed the PDF using the File Manager, as this uses the tag to embed dcouments, and which will then uses the browsers native PDF viewer (or an installed PDF plugin) to render the document.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

Copyright © 2024 Widget Factory Limited. All rights reserved.
Widget Factory Limited and this site is not affiliated with or endorsed by The Joomla! Project™. Any products and services provided through this site are not supported or warrantied by The Joomla! Project or Open Source Matters, Inc. Use of the Joomla!® name, symbol, logo and related trademarks is permitted under a limited license granted by Open Source Matters, Inc.