You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#99460 Trying to protect video's :-)

Posted in ‘Mediabox’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Wednesday, 17 April 2019 12:43 BST

[email protected]
Ha there!!

Registered users can watch some instructional videos on my site.
However, I want to hide the URL to prevent direct downloading as much as possible.
The URL is visible when they click on the link. (see image)
Is that easy to achieve?

Thanks for contributing ideas!

Attachments

Ryan
The best way to protect videos is to host them offsite, using Youtube or Vimeo. This will allow them to be streamed, but not downloaded.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

[email protected]
Therefore we have to waive our exclusive rights to the visual material and all other content that we upload. That's not really wat we want. Just trying to hide the URL when you mouseover the link to the video.
Any advice?

Ryan
The display of the url in the browser on mouseover is a browser behaviour, and only remove the href tag from the link would prevent it, but then the popup would not work.

Hiding the url on mouseover is not going to prevent it from being downloaded, as it can easily be copied from the link. Also, when the popup is opened, the url can be copied from the video element.

Therefore we have to waive our exclusive rights to the visual material and all other content that we upload.

Hosting your video on Vimeo using a paid plan would not waive your rights, as far as I am aware.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.