You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#99011 View PDFS instead of forcing download

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Thursday, 04 April 2019 09:39 BST

jgribble
Hi Ryan,
I encountered another issue with the latest version. It used to be easy to use PDFs. I know they suck, but I have several clients who are absolutely wedded to them. They are never going to change. So they lean on PDFs of print documents instead of converting them to HTML.
Uploading PDFs and linking to them is still as easy as ever. The problem is, something is preventing the PDFs from being viewed. Instead they automatically download. The way this used to work by default was that the PDF would pop up. I would set the link to open in a new window. Then user could save. You can see the issue here on a new site which is awaiting launch. https://milwaukee-yacht-club.com/for-members/hot-downloads
All was working normally at first. Then I updated the editor when a new version came out. Unfortunately I didn't check the PDFs. Now they download but don't display.
I think this is just a different setting issue which I hope you will pass along. PDFs have been added as an accepted file type in all the places I am aware that this has to be done. Unless there's a Joomla core setting somewhere I'm not aware of.
Thank you as always,
-Jim Gribble

Ryan
All was working normally at first. Then I updated the editor when a new version came out. Unfortunately I didn't check the PDFs. Now they download but don't display.

Updating the editor won't change existing content.

If I click on the links in Firefox or Chrome, then they do open in a new window and display the PDF. This is because both Firefox and Chrome have built-in PDF viewers, whereas IE does not.

Which browser are you using?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

jgribble
Thanks for the reply, Ryan. I mainly use Chrome and Firefox and check periodically in IE. Today Chrome is working. Firefox not. Firefox opens to blank page. I wonder though if it's related to my search engine. I use the Duck Duck Go ad blocking search engine instead of Google. I'm wondering if that might inhibit the PDFs from popping up.
Regarding IE, I know it doesn't have a PDF reader, which is another reason to hate it. But is there still a way to make PDFs work with Microsoft browsers?
To sum up, nothing might be wrong at all.
It just might be Firefox search engine.
-Jim Gribble

Ryan
Regarding IE, I know it doesn't have a PDF reader, which is another reason to hate it. But is there still a way to make PDFs work with Microsoft browsers

Install Acrobat Reader in Windows should help - https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html

Firefox not. Firefox opens to blank page. I wonder though if it's related to my search engine. I use the Duck Duck Go ad blocking search engine instead of Google. I'm wondering if that might inhibit the PDFs from popping up.

I use Firefox and Duck Duck Go, but testing your links in Firefox works fine for me. This Mozilla support question might help - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1109865

Ryan Demmer

jgribble
I used Refresh to reset Firefox to original defaults, and that did the trick. Many thanks for passing this tip along in the event that other users have an issue! However it doesn't seem like there's any good way to make PDFs work with any Microsoft browser? Correct?

Ryan
However it doesn't seem like there's any good way to make PDFs work with any Microsoft browser? Correct?

Install Acrobat Reader - https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html

Ryan Demmer