You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#115160 ChatGPT plugin for translation

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Thursday, 09 November 2023 13:21 GMT

gryd
Hi
I've tested the JCE ChatGPT plugin and I'm a regular user of ChatGPT via it's main site.
Whilst I know that the JCE plugin doesn't currently do this, I think it would be a great addition...
What I would like is a plugin that can take a published Joomla article in the main language (e.g. English GB), create a new article and translate the original content into another language. Of course, it should maintain any formatting from the original article and the translator should not translate any classes, tags, etc.
Recently I used ChatGPT to do this by copying the HTML from an article, pasting it into ChatGPT and giving it a very specific prompt that it should only translate the text and should ignore class names, tags, etc. It took a little time to get the prompt right and for the robot to understand, but eventually it did a good job and only made one error in one article in one language (I translated around 20 articles in 6 languages).
The only problem was that I had to do each article seperately and for each language so it was a lot of copying and pasting. But it was definitely faster than using, for example, Google Translate, and then having to reformat the plain text.
It would be great if JCE could do this within the editor!
Please tell me if you already have this in your roadmap.
In addition, I have also looked at all of the options out there to translate Joomla sites and allow for the translated content to be checked and edited, but none of them work well and almost all of them involve hosting the translated articles on the extension developer's site and not as actual Joomla articles on our sites.
Thanks,
Pete

Ryan
What I would like is a plugin that can take a published Joomla article in the main language (e.g. English GB), create a new article and translate the original content into another language. Of course, it should maintain any formatting from the original article and the translator should not translate any classes, tags, etc.
Recently I used ChatGPT to do this by copying the HTML from an article, pasting it into ChatGPT and giving it a very specific prompt that it should only translate the text and should ignore class names, tags, etc. It took a little time to get the prompt right and for the robot to understand, but eventually it did a good job and only made one error in one article in one language (I translated around 20 articles in 6 languages).
The only problem was that I had to do each article seperately and for each language so it was a lot of copying and pasting. But it was definitely faster than using, for example, Google Translate, and then having to reformat the plain text.
It would be great if JCE could do this within the editor!
Please tell me if you already have this in your roadmap.

The ChatGPT plugin for JCE is designed to work on the editor content of the current article, like all other JCE editor tools, You can create a prompt that can translate that content, or do other things to it, but always within the context of the current article content.

Other AI extensions, like the excellent 4AI - https://weeblr.com/blog/4ai-new-ai-powered-joomla-assistant - may be able to do what your require and are worth investigating.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

gryd
Hi Ryan
Thanks so much for your reply.
I don't think the current JCE ChatGPT plugin will do it because the input/output box is plain text, so even if I paste the whole article into the box and ask it translate, it will remove the formatting.

But thanks so much for telling me about 4AI. I'll test that over the next few days and see if it works.

Have a great day!
Pete

Ryan
I don't think the current JCE ChatGPT plugin will do it because the input/output box is plain text, so even if I paste the whole article into the box and ask it translate, it will remove the formatting.

You can process an editor content selection using predefined Prompts - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/news/chatgpt-1-1-0-released

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.